I called my mother this past Wednesday to inform her that I cut every remaining strand of hair that could possibly have ever had any of the "creamy crack" on it. I said, "Hey, Mom! Guess what? I straight pulled a Solange at the hair dresser today!" Of course, she had no idea what I was talking about, so I explained to her about Solange cutting off all of her hair to grow it back naturally.
I had initially stopped perming my hair about a year ago, but, of course, the majority of it (the ends) were stilled relaxed. I continued to get my hair pressed out and curled, but it was a total waste of time because my hair wouldn't even last a day, especially if the temperature was over like 40 degrees! I then began to get creative with French braids, two strand twists, and ponytails, but I just wasn't feeling the incredibly straight ends.
I cut my hair short about 6 weeks ago, but it seemed nearly impossible trying to maintain a Halle Berry when your hair looks more like a Chuck Berry, so I thought about it and decided to cut it all off and just start from scratch, much like our diva to the left here, Ms. Solange Knowles.
It is very liberating and it feels great to have made this decision. My Honey absolutely loves it (he's so encouraging and motivating) and my family does as well. I have received a few negative comments such as, "Why would you cut off all of that pretty thick hair?" For some folks I give the explanation of embracing my hair without perms and such and some folks just get blank stare-side eye cocktail.
In all honesty, I have yet to take any pictures of my new 'do, but I plan to do so really soon. I have a list of all of these things that I want to do that my hair has held me back from such as participating in hot yoga, getting into the sauna at the gym, swimming in the pool at the gym, and working out without feeling bad about wasting my money at the salon. The biggest thing has been standing in the shower and letting the water run through my hair and down my face...it feels like freedom!
Peace and Balance
Sheronda-Rae

love. love. love. i didn't do the big chop...though i am still considering it since i HATE the straight ends. but i will say this, i ran the water through my hair while int he shower last saturday and again today...i cannot remember the last time i did that, i may have been like 11 and i agree, it feels so free. so get your solange on girl and i can't wait to see the pictures of you!!!!
ReplyDelete