Here is a picture of me prior to embarking on the journey to natural hair:
I got my first relaxer when I was 8 years old and in the third grade. I don't remember if there was a conversation held other than the one my mom had with herself on whether or not to perm my hair. I come from the era when children didn't have decisions on their fate. You did what your were told and that was that. So, off to Carol Water's First Class Beauty Salon I went to get my very first Optimum Relaxer. From that point on, I was in the salon every week and getting my relaxer retouched ever 4-6 weeks.
I always had a whole bunch of hair. It wasn't the most manageable, and I don't think it was because of kinks; it was more about my hair's volume. I can't say that I was unhappy about my perm. All I knew that I didn't have to get almost drowned getting my hair washed by my mother in the bathtub, and then nearly cooked during the blow drying and hot comb presses. I could wear my hair out a bit more, my bang was flowing, and my ponytails were long and shiny. And that was fine with me!
As I got older and able to make my own hair decisions, I continued to relax my hair because that was the way it had been and that was the way it was going to be. As a darker skinned Sister, I often relied upon my hair to have one of those features that people go crazy over, and my hair was it! I became known for keeping my hair laid every single day! I continued to go to the salon each and every week (sometimes twice a week). I know, pretty crazy right?
Anyway, since my hair was always two seconds old, I couldn't do anything! I didn't go out in certain levels of humidity, I wouldn't go swimming, I didn't want to exercise unless it was the day before my salon appointment. I didn't even want my hair to get messed up during sex! I was ruled entirely by my hair!
Then, one day last year, my Honey and I were watching Chris Rock's Good Hair and this part came on:
My Honey turned to me and said, "Is this the so-called 'perm' that you put in your hair?" I had to admit to it and he thought that I had stone-cold lost my mind! He couldn't believe that I was putting this poison onto my scalp and into my system. He then looked at me and said, "Babe, please stop." So, that was that. I stopped getting my hair permed!
So here I am, about a year later, and still not quite sure how to navigate this road to natural hair. I've recently taken up running so something has had to give.
I invite to join Kim and me as we figure out natural hair situation together, although a 100-plus miles apart. There will be some funny times, so sad times, some crazy times, and a lot of bad hair days in between.
We both invite you to share you stories, advice, and anecdotes about natural hair. It should be a wild ride!
If you have any questions, please type them in the comment box or email us at misadventuresofkimandrae@gmail.com.
Love, Peace, and Hair Grease!!


Looking forward to reading all of your trials and tribulations.....
ReplyDelete