Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Everyone's a Critic...

Here is someone's actual Facebook status posting:

Ok, I'ma about to ruffle some feathers... But what's the big deal about wearing your hair natural, then posting it all over EVERYTHING for the world to see? Wearing your hair natural WUZ somewhat chic, interesting and different of let's say 15, 20 or more years ago. Not so any more, Quite common in fact. What's so special about it? Don't all people of African descent have hair that kinks, coils and curls of varying degrees? Then you get mad 'cause people wanna be talking about your head, tryna touch it and stuff...WHO GIVES A DAMN THAT YOU FINALLY MADE PEACE WITH YOUR SELF? You really haven't or you wouldn't want attention for things that naturally just 'are'... Is it really THAT MUCH of a struggle for y'all to just be YOU?

Here is my response: 
"Ok, I'ma about to ruffle some feathers..."
From the tone of the status, it seems as if this person's angry feathers have been ruffled.

"But what's the big deal about wearing your hair natural, then posting it all over EVERYTHING for the world to see?"
The big deal is that promoting who we are and not who we try to be is something that our young people need to see in order to combat the negative images out there about who we are and what we do.  

"Wearing your hair natural WUZ somewhat chic, interesting and different of let's say 15, 20 or more years ago. Not so any more, Quite common in fact."
I'm wondering where she's getting her information from.  Even an unscientific study will show that a large majority of our sisters are walking around with hair weaves and extensions in their hair.  In my world, you seldom find a Sister without a weave, let alone chemical-free hair.  In this day and age of artificially enhanced everything, it is interesting when people resist the so-call norm and go back to basics.

"What's so special about it? Don't all people of African descent have hair that kinks, coils and curls of varying degrees? Then you get mad 'cause people wanna be talking about your head, tryna touch it and stuff..."
Umm, I'm not so sure where she is going with this part of her rant or whatever.  Everyone has hair that does something to varying degrees.  I'm not sure is people "wanna be talking" about my head or not and people seldom reach out and try to touch my hair.  But, whatever...

"WHO GIVES A DAMN THAT YOU FINALLY MADE PEACE WITH YOUR SELF? You really haven't or you wouldn't want attention for things that naturally just 'are'... Is it really THAT MUCH of a struggle for y'all to just be YOU?"
I am by no means a spring chicken, so those days of self-doubt and sub-par self-confidence are well behind me.  I was raised by parents who loved me and encouraged me to set goals and achieve them.  I was and remained very well-adjusted and secure with who I am, who I am not, and who I intend to be.  Our blog documents a reflection of two friends who are in the process of letting go of almost a chemical addiction to relaxer that has paralyzed our lives for many years.  And this is who I am...I am a person who is open about my life's experiences who is willing to share my struggles and triumphs with others to facilitate discussion and inspire change for the better.

I don't understand why people find it necessary to shoot down things that others are doing, especially when those "things" are with good intention.  The purpose of this blog is to document a dramatic life change through humor, education, and positive discussion.  It is not meant to offend anyone.  At the same time, please be clear that Kim and I are intelligent, loving, and successful women.  We both have dedicated our careers to the betterment of others and strive to do so in our personal lives as well. 

And, in the spirit of Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that...

Please utilize the comments section below to share your thoughts about the posting!  I'm dying to hear what others thing...

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease!

Rae






 

3 comments:

  1. Rae that was well stated! I appreciate you and Kim for allowing us into your space to follow your journey!From my perspective its about more than just hair, its also about personal growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rae. To often we focus on the problem and not the solution. Thank you for not letting your ego carry you away in your response to that confused young lady. (It's what I would have done. Alas, God is still working on me. Hell, I'm still hot and she ain't even say that ish to ME.) Your response, steeped in love, was just an explanation of why you're both doing what it is your'e doing. Thank you for role modeling responding without malice. I wonder sometimes if we are "casting our pearls".... But, alas, it is only for us to plant the seed right? God makes the sun to shine is responsible for the increase. Please continue planting seeds, informing us of your journey, of it challenges and rewards. If you have a million naysayers and just ONE person, is moved to find courage, love within themselves it's worth it. If one person is encouraged to let their light so shine, then God is blessed. Those folks will always be with us. We must however continue to free ourselves until the day that they too will find the courage to "emancipate yourself from mental slavery. Only ourselves can free our minds." Thank your both for putting your love out there for us to see. I salute your courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I am so imperfect that we need a new word for imperfect; however, I am loving and sensitive, and those comments hurt my feelings! Initially I was very angry, but I had to realize that everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyone won't like the things that I say and do. If someone thought that I demonstrated the lack of self-love through perming my hair or making noise about going natural, why wouldn't that person embrace me and lead me to a better place?

      My hair is a hot mess as I type. I have worked out, washed it, and let it air dry, but you know what? I'm still the same person whether or not I look like Bookman from Good Times or Wilona from Good Times. I have had a perm since I was in the 3rd grade so this is new territory for me...it is because that I love myself that I am willing to be represented in this world as the natural me!

      Thank you so much for reading our blog!

      Rae

      Delete